Friday, October 28, 2011

What I learned from a stolen Mercedes

It is interesting that after almost 13 years of marriage (our anniversary is in about a week) I still learn new things about my husband when new circumstances arrive. Last week we had a first for Hardman Car Company, our first car was stolen.

Sonny came home Friday night later than normal and obviously upset. I asked him how his day was and he said, "I think it could be one of the worst for Hardman Car Company." He went on to explain that earlier in the day a young man came in (someone who had come in before) and test drove a Mercedes, never to return. After calling the police hours later, Sonny was told nothing could be done for 72 hours. One of our most expensive vehicles was gone and we were expected to just sit around and wait.

Taking matters into his own hands, Sonny took pictures from the security camera of the young man (he didn't know his name), and posted them on facebook. Oh, the joys of social media! It only took a few minutes to spread this guys face around, along with the description of our car and the circumstances surrounding it. Thanks to all the friends and family that helped spread the news, the next day brought results.

Sonny got a call from police in the morning. The boys mother had called in and told them her son's name, so there was something to go on. A few hours later Sonny's cousin called and said, "I think I found your car." It was on the side of the road, only a few blocks from our dealership. Apparently, the boy had run out of gas and left the car sitting. Sonny and Jared (he works with us), quickly went the car, but without a key, they could not move it. Sonny pulled something out of the engine or something (good thing he is the one with mechanical skills) so that it couldn't run if the boy came back for it. They left and a little while later were called by the people living on the same street the car was abandoned on- "the boy and his friend are back with gas, get here quick."

Rushing to the car, Sonny and Jared caught their thief. The police were on their way, but the boy had no intention on waiting for them to show up. He apologized, made excuses, and even started crying- trying to walk home, Sonny and Jared caught him and held him until police arrived. I was surprised when Sonny said they chose not to press charges. They told police they would let him go as long as he came to the office and helped do some work for them. Police were surprised, but agreed to it. Sonny and Jared left to go get the parts to the Mercedes that they had taken out and when they returned, the boy was being cuffed and put in the squad car.

"What happened?" Sonny wanted to know. The cops had found drugs on the boy and were now taking him into custody. The boy was obviously upset and Sonny couldn't help feeling sorry for him. After the car was brought back to the dealership, needles were found in the car and obvious drug paraphernalia. The boy was an addict who had no money and needed a car for a few days.

Later Saturday night Sonny and I took the kids for a surprise stay at a hotel in Salt Lake. We were spending quality family time together, yet I could see that he was still distracted.

"Aren't you so glad we got the car back and everything worked out?" I asked.
"Yah, I am. I just feel so bad for the kid."

That was the response that helped me learn something new about my husband. Anyone who knows him knows he is kind and good- but there aren't too many people who could still have sympathy and concern for the person that stole and lied from them. I mean, concern enough that he is distracted and worried about what will happen to the man that cheated him. I am glad I can continually learn from my sweet husband. I am glad he is an example to my boys and I hope the young man who stole the car learns there are good people in the world- someone he should strive to be like.

3 comments: