Friday, September 25, 2009

Salesmen suck no more!

I feel like the last person on earth to join life in the blogging world, but I've finally decided on a reason to do so. Recently, I read the first few chapters of a book called What Would Google Do? by Jeff Jarvis. He writes about the effect of the internet on business and in particular what blogging can do for an industry. Bloggers have power, they can make you win or lose. So, after reading a bit I switched to the computer and searched for blogs about the car sales industry.

Wow! The stigma of lying, fat, smokey, pushy salesmen still totally exists. Apparently it is not just a stigma but supposedly true stories about their repulsive horrible behavior and consequently sickening car buying experiences run rampant in the virtual world. Most of the comments I read were from women, discussing how poorly they were treated at this or that dealership. One woman even claims the experience so horrific she will never buy a car again. Sad. Seeing as women now make up about 60% of the car buyers in this world, I think it's time this stereotype be changed.

Well, if Mr. Jarvis is right, then I plan on using blogging power to help the car salesman win. You see, my life is better because of a car salesman. My husband, Sonny, and I have been married for almost ten years. He's been selling cars for longer than that. He is skinny, he doesn't smoke, he doesn't even swear. He opens doors for people, donates blood, and only yells when his football or basketball teams are losing. I would not be the only one to describe him as charitable to a fault and absolutely honest. I know, you think I'm just bragging- and I am a bit, but I think it might be interesting to share with the rest of you the other side of car salesman's life.

I plan to share our stories. I hope that after doing so, you might find the stereotype of a car salesman changed a bit. Being a part of the industry for so many years, Sonny would be the first to admit the rotten salesman does still exist, but there are others out there. Maybe a few good apples in an idustry littered with bad ones can get their voices heard and change the stigma at least a little.

So welcome to our little world. I hope you enjoy reading and commenting on my life as a car salesman's wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment