Thursday, January 21, 2010

What's in your backpack?

It is funny to re-read my blogs. I realize that I write a lot about recognizing the good things in our life and getting through our trials. I suppose it is because that is what the life of a car salesman's wife is wrapped up in right now. I expect it is similar to lives of most wives out there, so I hope that my writings aren't just working as a therapy for me, but help out some of you too.

If you are a mother, I think you'd agree that your children teach you a lot about life. This week Asher taught me yet another lesson about smiling and embracing hardships that come our way.

"Can I have a backpack?" Asher had been asking that question since bedtime the night before. I had reminded him that we would need to get ready early the next day because we were going to his cardiologist appointment.

Since birth,Dr. Susan Etheridge has been his doctor. She has a fun spirit that is displayed in her tightly curled red hair and vintage Anthropologie dresses. As an infant, she got to see him weekly- holding his hand in hers, warming her stethoscope with her breath before listening to the quick rhythm of his heart. As a toddler she would often join him on the floor while he played with toys during his monthly appointments. Now, she sees him quarterly, never forgetting his face and remembering his love of super-heroes.

"Of course you can have a backpack!" Dr. Etheridge exclaimed, trying to match Asher's enthusiasm. Leaning closer to me she whispered, "he is the only kid I know that likes wearing these."

She glanced over at the small holter monitor sitting on the table beside her. The little package, about the size of a portable game system, had three gray cables coming out of it. Each cable had a small colored piece on the end; red, yellow, and brown. They matched the colored stickers strategically placed on Asher's chest. The colored ends snapped on to the stickers and with a touch of a button, Asher's heart rhythm would be recorded. The portable device easily clips on your belt loop, but for children, they put it in a blue purse looking pocket that ties around you. Most kids wear it on their front, but Asher has always preferred it on his back. Every time he has an appointment, he gets to wear the backpack for 24 hours. This records his heart, then gets sent back to the doctor for analysis.

A wide smile spread across Asher's face as the holter monitor was attached to him and instruction given to wear it for 24 hours.



Asher thinks of his "backpack" as something special. He often plays that it has great powers, making him more super than normal. He also does an excellent job of forgetting it even exists. He sleeps with it on, plays with it on, eats with it on, and never seems to mind. His "backpack" is a literal part of the obstacles he faces in his life and he treats it as a prize. His obstacle makes him smile-

Often people say things like, "I know you're carrying a heavy load." or "You've got a lot on your shoulders." I always picture a person hiking up a big hill with an enormous camping pack strapped to them. Usually they are bent over, struggling under the weight of their gear, slowly moving forward with every step. Yes,we all have our own "backpacks" full of different hardships. We get worn down by them. They make us fall, and sometimes we just don't want to get up. But how great would it be if we looked at our "backpacks" with a smile on our face. What if we even asked for them?

Wearing a monitor on your back with cables in your way is not a fun thing to do. It is annoying, frustrating, and uncomfortable, much like the burdens we carry in our proverbial backpacks. But I believe our backpacks can actually be good for us. In fact, Asher's has been a part of saving his life.

So once again, I write about being happy. I write to encourage us all to find powers from our "backpacks" that will make us stronger in life.

2 comments:

  1. Care, thank you. I think when we chose to come down to earth, we picked our back pack-- glad for your little one to remind me to smile about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. carolyn, Can I just say I love you and you are amazing. I swear your blog is like reading little gospel insights, I love it. If I were a Dr. I would wear lots of Anthropologie also. I do love the few handbags I have bought from them.

    ReplyDelete